Many of our clients (younger ones especially) come in to consult with us after being in a car wreck and say something like “it all happened so fast, I didn’t know what to do.” We usually get “I didn’t know what to do” after we ask if they took pictures, recorded the scene with their phone, or something similar.
Here’s a fact to consider – it’s really not whether you will get into a car wreck or automobile accident, it’s how many wrecks/accidents you will be in. The insurance industry, as of 2011, the average driver reports an auto claim every 17.9 years (source: Property Casualty Insurers Association of America).
Whether your accident is serious, or results in property damage only, know what you need to do ahead of time! Here’s a simple, easy to remember, guide to what to do.
Car Crashes/Automobile Accidents
- C – Call 911. If you are hurt, follow the instructions of first responders. Report all your injuries, even if you think they are slight.
- R – Reach for your cell phone, start taking pictures/video. Preserving this evidence is critical. Many times (especially in Warren County/Bowling Green) officers DON’T TAKE PICTURES. Make sure that we can help you.
- A – Always get the report number. Also get the contact information for any witnesses.
- S – Stop and check for injuries. Wrecks/accidents cause your adrenaline to spike. After you’ve had the chance to calm down, re-evaluate whether or not you are injured.
- H – Head to the Hospital. Get checked out. In Kentucky, every insured car has $10,000.00 in PIP/No-Fault insurance available to pay medical bills and lost wages. If you do not go to the hospital, it will be much harder to claim you were injured in a wreck/accident.
While on the way to the hospital, call an attorney. Our number is (270) 599-0642, ask for Tim Stevenson or Mike Steidl. Remember, CRASH – Call 911, Reach for cellphone, Always get Report Number/Contact Info, Stop and check for injuries and Head to the Hospital, and you won’t be someone saying “you didn’t know what to do.”
Work Comp/Work Accidents
- C – Call for help/Call your supervisor. In Kentucky, you are required to give “due and timely notice” for any injury. Even if you “tweak” your back, report any injury to your employer.
- O – Offer to go to the doctor. Don’t be afraid to go to the doctor. Again, if you don’t go, the insurance company will try to say you weren’t hurt at work.
- M – Make pictures/recordings with your phone. If you are hurt by a dangerous condition, pictures/recordings are valuable evidence.
- P – Prepare to deal with a work comp carrier. In Kentucky, anyone who is hurt at work is entitled to work comp benefits. Those benefits, in the majority of cases, are provided by an insurance carrier, who wants to minimize costs. You are a cost.
So remember – COMP – CALL for Help, Offer to go to the doctor, Make pictures/recordings, and Prepare. If you are tired of dealing with your work comp adjuster, call Brad Sowell or Mike Steidl at (270) 599-0642.
Now you know what to do. Stay safe, everyone.